Below is a simple guide to researching a specific JOB. After completing your research, you should be able to answer ALL of the following questions IN DETAIL.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
What does an average day look like?
· What time does the day begin or end?
· What types of interaction is there with co-workers, managers, customers, clients?
· What types of projects / assignments are completed on a daily basis?
What are the responsibilities of someone in this role?
· What specific operational / project objectives are they responsible for?
· Who are the direct reports?
· What business development / sales goals are they accountable for?
KNOWLEDGE & ANALYSIS
What job specific concepts & terms do you need to know?
· Industry jargon
What types of specific analyses are performed on a regular basis?
· Financial analysis
· Market research
· Operational analysis
CAREER PATH & COMPENSATION
What is the typical career path before & after this job?
· What is the average number of years between promotion at each level?
· What types of experiences are required for promotions?
· How does the expected skill set change at each level?
What is the typical compensation package composed of?
Describe the type of people that are successful in this job?
· What type of personality types are successful (i.e. aggressive, team players, work with limited direction)?
Describe the typical lifestyle of the job?
· How many hours are people expected to work?
· Is weekend work required?
· How much travel is required?
What academic requirements and professional certifications are required?
· Minimum GPA
· What majors are required / preferred?
· What graduate degrees are required (i.e. masters, PhD)?
· What certifications are required (e.g. CPA, CFA, Microsoft)?